Wednesday, November 19, 2014

[This is Music] Oh, 2-D

I have a confession to make: I really like the Gorillaz.

I first started liking them around 2005 or so, and stopped liking them for years... But now, I'm starting to like them again. There's something enjoyably refreshing about breaking away from the boring monotony of bands within genres starting to sound the same (i.e. metalcore bands all sound the same, hardcore bands all sound the same, rock bands are sounding the same, melodic hardcore bands are sounding the same) and going off to something entirely different. It's like bursting forth from a stinky dorm bathroom into the cool, crisp air of a fall morning.

But it's not just the instrumentation that is enjoyably refreshing (and refreshingly enjoyable), but also the lyrical content and structuring. The simple poetic statements are enjoyable ("Up on melancholy hill there's a plastic tree. Are you here with me?" "Stereo I want it on. It's taken me far too long. Don't think I'm not all in this world.") But I also enjoy the vocals themselves: no, I'm not talking about the fact that he's singing and not screaming. I'm talking about the mellowness and the lack of crisp dictation: it blends better with the music and allows the instrumentation to set the personality of the song and and not so much the lyrics themselves.


Plus, these three songs are just super chill to listen to. Can you guess which one is my favorite?







Obviously, I love music and am mildly eclectic in my taste, but I'll always have my favorites. Sometimes, it just takes a break away from the monotony of what I've come to call "normal" to see that there's more colors than grey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment