Friday, August 29, 2014

[Payday] - New Camera Day

Today is payday! Being the first payday of the semester, it'll be my largest paycheck until at least Thanksgiving break. Having calculated my current finances, anticipated income for the semester based on my set schedule of work hours, and estimated expenses, I'll be able to pay my non-loan debts, buy a couple things I want, take care of normal day-to-day necessities, and still come out ahead without having to fall back on student loans. I can't express how happy I am right now about this. For the first time in my collegiate career, I don't have to wonder if I'll be able to pay for basic things like phone and laundry. This year, I'm going to have extra.

I'm a pretty lucky dude.

I get to work 19 hours a week between two departments (I.T. and cafeteria) while others are practically begging for hours. I know that to some extent I've earned it; I've made a name for myself by working hard and doing well. At the same time, I also know that what takes years to build can be torn down in a minute. This is going to be my busiest year yet, and if I don't maintain a healthy balance between work and play, I'm going to burn out. This year is going to be all about discipline: work first, play later. Go to bed at a set(ish) time each night regardless of homework that may be due. And, importantly, make time to get away from campus and adventure.

That said, I ordered a new camera today! Back in July, I bought my first GoPro (Hero 3 White Edition) and spent the last month getting used to using it. Now that I've somewhat got the hang of it, it's time to upgrade to the real thing, the Hero 3+ Black Edition. It's a bit of an investment (roughly $550 for the camera and accessories), but it's one that I know I'll far beyond my money's worth. I'm definitely pretty stoked for the adventures I'm going to have with it and, further, the ability to document them in 2.7K resolution at 30fps!

This is going to be a fun year.

No comments:

Post a Comment