Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Moving to Wordpress



Back in January I started a Wordpress site with the intention of transitioning away from Blogger. Well, it sort of got buried beneath a pile of academics and work for a semester, and then I had simply forgotten about it until recently. So, I logged in, did a little work on the theme, imported my blog posts, and observed the differences between the sites for a week before deciding which one to stick with.

I chose Wordpress.

Here's why: reliability. I'm actually surrendering a feature that I've come to appreciate so much on Blogger, that being the ability to use my own CSS without having to pay for a "premium" account, but this singular advantage has found itself grossly outweighed by the fact that Blogger is unreliable at best, unstable at normal, and outright unusable at worst. Here's what I mean: I've had multiple instances on Blogger where I'll write a post, publish it, and then come back later to find out that it hadn't published. Sometimes, these "published but not published" posts would revert themselves back to early drafts, and I'd have to either re-write the whole thing from memory, or abandon it out of frustration. What's more, I've had instances where a post I'm nowhere near ready to publish will somehow publish itself. The most recent incident with this was part two of my series on depression; a post that is maybe halfway written in draft suddenly went public and I didn't catch it until probably 9-10 hours after it went live.

Wordpress offers my solution to these problems and more. Organizing posts on Blogger pretty much has to be done via the label (tagging) system, the stock themes are horrible and even worse to try to customize (you'd basically have to write your own page from scratch if you want something that functions well), whereas on Wordpress there are stock themes with organization built in. For what I'm doing, I no longer have to spend hours upon hours tinkering with code to add more functionality to my page. The only bit of functionality I've lost in the transition is the arbitrary animation of my social media icons (they would go from 75% opacity to 100% and tilt 30 degrees clockwise when your cursor hovers over them). While I would like to find a way to get this back, it's not necessary.

Anyway, all of this is to say that this will be my last post on Blogger. You can find my new site up and running over at http://epitomeoftoast.wordpress.com.

See you there!

PS: If you subscribed to this blog, you will need to re-subscribe to the new one. I do apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment